The owner of brewery Michail Spech has built a palace on the Františkánske square. This is one of the most splendid buildings of Bratislava. The facade of this complex is decorated with stucco. There is a fountain with statues of Triton and nymphs in the inner yard. The crown and the family coat of arms of one of the owners of the palace Karol Niary can be seen on the fronton.
The last owner of the palace Emil Mirbach donated his residence to the city with one condition – the palace should host a local art museum. The wish was executed. In 1949 the art gallery of Bratislava was opened there. The majority of the items were from Mirbach collection. There are also gothic glass front windows, Italian, Netherlands, and Flamand artists’ pieces of art from the XVII and XVIII centuries.